Steps to Prepare for Winter
While we may be focused on enjoying cooler fall temps right now (and rightfully so!), it's also the perfect time to start preparing your home for the winter ahead! Read on for all our tips to keep your home safe and warm all winter long.
Winter Prep Checklist
1. Have you had your heating systems/generator serviced recently?
2. Paint, caulk and seal exterior surfaces.
3. Have a plan to rake and remove leaves if they are not being mulched while mowing (which is better). Leaves piled up over the winter are mostly not good for lawns, driveways, and roofs/gutters.
4. When was your chimney cleaned? Do you have enough firewood?
5. Do you have sufficient fuel supplies for heating?
6. Do you have an emergency 5-day kit and plan for a potential power outage or blizzard?
7. Seal masonry and hard surfaces.
8. Change batteries for smoke alarms and smoke detectors or set a date to do so, if your systems are not hard-wired.
9. Schedule a date to shut down your pool.
10. Schedule a date to shut down irrigation systems and drain exterior pipes/faucets. Mark all shut-off valves clearly for future ease of use.
11. Check your trees for weak or dead limbs that could break easily with the weight of snow/ice/wind and remove them. Don't prune/shape trees until later in winter.
12. Store all equipment and sharpen tools for early spring use.
13. Check your home for energy leaks, which can help reduce your heating bills.
14. Stock up on supplies for snow and ice removal and confirm your plowing schedule/contract.
15. Do you have an updated list of emergency numbers to call?
16. Do you have a power backup for your phone/electronics?
17. Cover or store outdoor furniture.
18. Reverse ceiling fans.
19. Test your sump pump.